Sunday 17 January 2021

Happy Birthday Michelle Obama

 

As we celebrate Michelle Obama's birthday (17th January 1964) we thought we would take a look at the highlights of this inspirational African-American woman career. 


Michelle LaVaughn Robinson Obama was the First Lady of the United States from 2009 to 2017, married to the 44th president of the United States, Barack Obama. Michelle Obama was the first African-American First Lady in American history. 

Michelle was taking classes in her school's gifted program by the sixth grade and went on to attend Whitney M. Young Magnet High School (Illinoi's first gifted school). Michelle attended Princeton University and graduated with a degree in Sociology in 1985. Following this achievement, she went on to study law at Harvard Law School awarded in 1988. 


Michelle worked for the firm Sidley Austin in Chicago and in 1991 left her corporate law to pursue a career in public service as she worked as an assistant to Mayor Richard Daley. In 1996, Michelle joined the University of Chicago as associate dean of student services and in 2005 she was appointed vice president for community and external affairs. In 2007, Michelle attended compaign obligations during Barack's run for the Democratic presidential nomination.


Most notably, Michelle has given some incredible speeches throughout her career. They have shown power and have inspired many. 

September 12th, 2012, "Every day, the people I meet inspire me, every day they make me proud, every day they remind me how blessed we are to live in the greatest nation on earth."

July 25th 2016, "I wake up every morning in a house that was built by slaves, and I watch my daughters, two beautiful, intelligent, Black young women, playing with their dogs on the White House Lawn. And because of Hilary Clinton, my daughters, and all of our sons and daughters, now take for granted that a woman can be President of the United States."

January 13th, 2017, "Being your first lady has been the greatest honor of my life and I hope I've made you proud." "I want our young people to know that they matter, that they belong. So don't be afraid. You hear me, young people? Don't be afraid. Be focused. Be determined. Be hopeful. Be empowered. Empower yourself with a good education. Then get out there and use that education to build a country worthy of your boundless promise. Lead by example with hope; never fear."



Happy birthday Michelle, from all of us at Madia & Matilda.


Images from: https://pixabay.com/images

Sincerely Madia & Matilda 



No comments:

Post a Comment